Praise the Lord for His abundant goodness! Today was an absolutely amazing experience for me. For so many weeks and months and even years, I have been thinking and praying and about Bike for Bibles, and today, the day finally came for those thoughts and prayers to become a reality.
Ever since we drove into Victory Village church parking lot yesterday and crawled out of the van to meet a bunch of strangers hustling around and loading bikes, I have been so encouraged, inspired and challenged spiritually and physically. Cindy and I rode with a group of about 24 others in a school bus from Calgary to Revelstoke yesterday to reach our starting point for the trip. Right away I realized what an amazing group of Christians we were with. We had some great conversations on the bus, and saw the love of the Lord being spread to others as we picked up some hitch hikers along the way, and laughed and shared with everyone together. By the time we arrived at Revelstoke, it was so hot and humid that you stuck to the bus seats and standing in the sun was nearly unbearable. I had questioning thoughts running through my head as we passed some cyclists straining up the hills in the blazing heat.
We set up camp at a nice middle-sized church in Revelstoke. The ladies spread out their gear in the sanctuary, the couples found Sunday-school rooms and the guys spread out in the basement. We had a delicious supper of beef stew, followed by some singing and pre-ride instruction session. Then we headed out to downtown Revelstoke to lick ice cream (or sip coffee, for some people), and look around the town a bit. We settled into bed at about 9:30 BC time and attempted to find a cool enough position to sleep. (I found holding onto the chair legs helpful for the cooling effect).
Despite my trepidation about the heat from the previous day, when I got up this morning in time for a 6 am breakfast, it was cool. Cindy and I headed out with the slow group (AKA the “easy group,” or as we’ve named it, the “cool group”) after “circle-up” time. During circle up time, we had a little devotional lead by Doug, our cycling chaplain for the week, and we were introduced to the group chant, “Through our spokes… God speaks!!!”
What a day. I must say that I have never had so much fun in my life. The first 20 km Cindy and I took it really easy. Then we had a nice snack break with lovely bananas, pretzels, mixed nuts and smarties and dried fruits. I discovered for the first time what is like to ride in a fast pelaton (pace-line). They tell me that the ideal following distance is 6-12 inches. It’s been taking some getting used to, but when you start to feel the benefits of riding in someone else’s slipstream, it’s worth the extra concentration that it takes. I am so amazed by the beauty of God’s creation, and the amazing opportunities He has given us to experience it!
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment