Friday, June 12, 2009

Cui Pictures

The raw and the terrible


Giovanni putting the cui on a stick


Roasting over the charcoal


A toasted delight


Attack of the cui


The crunchy feet


A delicious supper


Here are a few lovely pictures of a classic and gourmet cuisine here
in Ecuador... Cui. Or, more commonly known as guinea pig. Giovani and
his family invited Claudia and Paolla and I over to their house for
supper, and I got to see the whole cooking process. They put the cui
on a big thick stick and slow-roasted it over charcoal for about 45
minutes. I didn´t know what to expect taste-wise, but it was actually
very good... something like tough chicken with a slightly different
aftertaste. And the feet were crunchy.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! I don't think I would have the heart or the guts to eat that. Good on you for trying it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slightly different then the pet breed, I see. There is no way I would've eaten the feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I'd better not send this post to Stu :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sincerely hope that the plate in the first and final pictures are not actually the same. Please tell me you at least washed it.

    But good for you for eating the guinea pig. Why do so many new foods taste like chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be reasurred Carla that it was well washed before consumption. :) Seriously, it was tasty. I haven´t gotten sick yet, so if it did contain dangerous organisms, at least they are slow acting. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yuck!

    Kim, you are a brave soul. I think I would have simply settled for the salad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! You should have invited me over. I love las patas! You do very well with the cultural foods.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you thought about going on Survivor? A. Judy, Mom and I thought that you could do it and be the only one not starving ;)

    ReplyDelete