Yesterday I went fishing with Justo, Santiago, Josue, Juan and Cristina to the Cajas, an isolated place at over 4,000 meters altitude with lakes. We didn't catch any fish, but the scenery was beautiful. I had the opportunity to experience several new things, such as climbing uphill through mud in rubber boots at 4000 meters, and being stung by stinging nettles. When we first started hiking, just walking slowly uphill felt about as difficult as running. I was feeling terribly unfit and couldn't figure out what was wrong until Justo said, "Kim, do you notice the altitude?" I went running this morning back down in Cuenca, and it was a lot easier than walking up in those mountains, so my exhaustian must have been from the altitude.
I followed Justo and Santiago up into this strange forest growing on the side of the mountain. That's where I got to experience the stinging nettles. I wonder how plants can sting like insects... strange. The plant life was so unique. It was warm and calm and the ground was sopping wet, but the foliage was more like that of a dessert or prairie because of the altitude. Very interesting. We had lunch on some rocks next to one of the lakes, and I had a lot of fun taking pictures of some of the plants and scenery. God is surely an amazing archetect!
The plants are really interesting, and the water fall is quite beautiful. So do stinging nettles have spines that puncture the skin if you rub against them? Or do they have a defense system that actually will puncture you by itself?
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if that makes sense or not. . .
Hey, I recognize those little white bumps! WE used to get stung by that stuff all the time! It's sure been a long time since I've seen any stinging nettle though. I wonder if the ones that stung you look the same as those I used to get stung by....did you take any pictures of the nettle Kim? I can picture them with their jagged green leaves... I'm looking forward to hearing about your travels!
ReplyDelete