Thursday, May 7, 2009

Adios, amigos!

The day has finally arrived! Here I am, sitting at gate C26 at the Calgary airport, waiting for my first of three flights that will take me to Ecuador by tomorrow afternoon. It almost doesn’t seem quite real that I won’t be seeing my family and everyone else for six whole weeks. I am excited, but a little nervous at the same time. I am looking forward to the take-offs, but not necessarily to my quick flight change in Panama City. My Calgary to Los Angeles flight gets in at 9:14 PM, then I have five hours in LAX until my Copa flight takes off at 2:12 AM and lands in Panama City. In Panama, I have only one hour and forty-two minutes to transfer to my final flight on a little propeller plane that takes me to Guyaquil, Ecuador. From there, it will be a four hour drive into the mountains to reach Cuenca, the final destination.

Until then, I am having a lot of fun watching those little trucky-things zooming around FAST on the runways loading cargo. I just finished watching the big “loading arm” suck back in towards the building. That would be an interesting job… a loading-arm-airport-sucker-inner-driver. It would also be an interesting job to drive the little truck that backs the jets away from the building. Talk about a wide load.
Well, I think I will study some Spanish for a while. You can thank Dad for teaching me how to use airport wireless internet.

Adios, amigos!

9 comments:

  1. Aw Kim, I'm so excited for you! I'm totally praying - and know God's gonna do amazing things on this trip. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you thinking about switching careers? Just think, you could quit nursing and get paid to be a loading-arm-airport-sucker-inner-driver! The possibilities are endless! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I know you'll do great Kim. And I'll definitely be praying that you get there safely. Let us know when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is a hefty travel schedule! The five hour wait sounds the worst! If you're awake enough, the propeller plane and drive may be quite exciting. Especially with all the new scenery!

    Safe trip and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. I thought I'd mention that my Mom is soooo excited about your trip! She went to Ecuador on a missions trip when she was just a bit older than you, and after reading this post she's majorly tripping down memory lane. She's like "Oh, Kim's gonna see this!" and "Oh, I bet she tells you about this...!!!"
    Love you lots girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to all your updates. Take lots of pictures! It's already a little quieter around here ;) Have a safe trip and enjoy the experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOOOOOOhhhhhhh ..... I'm SO super excited for you Kim! We can't wait to follow your blog and see what a blessing you will be on your trip! Have fun! Vaminos!! ha ha (I get most of my Spanish from "Dora the Explorer")

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited for you Kim!! I can't wait to hear a bunch of amazing stories.

    ReplyDelete